Wedding have changed so much over the past 25 years from the popularity of destination weddings on the beach to the cool environment of you having your wedding in a barn. New websites have been built out today such as www.appycouple.com where you can keep everyone organized, track RSVP’s, share photos, travel, chat, and much more. If you are going to a wedding, one of the timeless difficult questions is what you should be giving for a gift. Should you just tuck some cash in an envelope or hit the registry list? What if the couple wants you to make a donation in their name? What if they tell you to bring nothing but yourself? Here are my ‘your smart money moves’ guide to seven great wedding gift ideas.
- Matching Passport Holders- If you are going to a wedding for a couple that loves to travel, a reasonably inexpensive but cool gift idea is to get matching passport holders. There are many places that sell these with various price ranges from Kate Spade to Jack Spade.
- Monogrammed Towels- It is important to know the taste of the couple you are going to for the wedding, so if you know them well and have been to their house before monogrammed towels are a cool idea. You can either use the last name, initial, his/hers, or something of that genre for their home.
- A Night Out On The Town- There are so many classes today from cooking to painting, so you could give the couple an experience. This may mean a staycation at a boutique hotel in your city or a three course class at a local cooking warehouse. If you can splurge for tickets to an upcoming show or concert that would be a neat idea as well.
- What’s Your DNA?- At some point, the happy couple will want to really get into their family history. If you are willing to splurge, www.23andme.com will give you an entire DNA testing and you can learn more about your ancestry, traits, and even family health questions.
- Subscriptions- There are many types of cool subscription ideas out there from wine to cosmetics to magazines. Sometimes, money or even something from the registry isn’t something that is going to be memorable even if the couple has it on their checklist.
- Custom Map- There are many websites out there such as www.mapiful.com where you can get your bride and groom custom maps of where they grew up or where they live today. This is a timeless piece that they can take with them no matter where they end of living.
- A Bottle Of Dom Perignon- Surely there will be celebrations coming down the road whether it is an anniversary or the birth of a new baby. A bottle of Dom never goes out of style and most people will even gladly display it in their home.
Request a FREE No-Obligation Consultation: www.oxygenfinancial.net
Ted Jenkin is a frequent guest columnist for the Wall Street Journal and Headline News Weekend Express. He is the co-CEO of oXYGen Financial. You can follow him on LinkedIn @ www.linkedin.com/in/theceoadvisor or on Twitter @tedjenkin.