Mother’s Day is less than a week away and word on the street is that spending is up this year. The National Retail Federation estimated that consumers will spend 20.7 billion dollars on Mom this year in 2014. If you are counting that is an average of $168.94 per consumer which is an 11% increase from 2013. Moms work hard and they are entitled to a show of appreciation on their special day. Most consumers will acknowledge that appreciation with a greeting card (81.3%), though it appears her loved ones will also look for special gifts. Two-thirds (66.6%) of those celebrating will buy mom her favorite flowers, spending a total of $2.3 billion, and 33.5 percent will look for spring sweaters and blouses, spending a total of $1.7 billion on apparel and accessory items. Mom’s loved ones will also buy books and CDs ($480 million), housewares or gardening tools ($812 million), personal experience gifts like a day at the spa ($1.5 billion), jewelry ($3.6 billion), and special outings like brunch or dinner ($3.8 billion). I say the heck with all of that and do something different this year . . . TECHNOLOGY (source: www.nrf.com)
- For The Mom With A New Baby– THE BLUE MAESTRO (www.bluemaestro.com) Pacifi has come up with one of the first Bluetooth enabled pacifier. It has a silicone nipple and through apps can notify you when your baby hits certain temperatures and can even track medications. There’s even a buzzer alarm so you are on your knees looking for the pacifier when baby loses it.
- For the Mom Who Has A Business– The Everpurse (www.everpurse.com) is a clutch that doubles as a charger for a busy mother’s phone. It can actually charge the phone up to three times. What’s really cool is that the clasp doubles as the USB port. Never again worry about running out of battery when your Mom is managing her work, a business, and the kids.
- For The Mom Who Loves Exercise– It may cost too much money to buy a cool new piece of equipment for the house, but for Mom’s who love to run take a look at the Garmin Forerunner watch. It is GPS enabled for time, distance, and pace, and can upload to give you all kinds of statistical analysis.
- For The Budget Conscious Mom– The days of the old thermostat are quickly becoming obsolete. Nest seems particularly pricy on the surface, but due it tremendous learning capabilities Mom can save thousands in energy costs with this system. It only takes about a half an hour to install and Mom will be the talk of the neighborhood when her friends come over to the house.
- For The Mom That Wants Style– If you haven’t checked out Pebble, it has tons of customization options to sync in apps that Mom may be using already. It is definitely one of the better smart watches on the market and balances style and functionality.
There is always time to buy the traditional gifts – flowers, candy, clothes, etc. But in a modern day society, a good easy to use gadget can go a long way to mom. Happy Mother’s Day to all Mom’s across America and most especially to my wife Genna!
Written by: Ted Jenkin
Request a FREE consultation: www.oxygenfinancial.net