Now that I gave you my five smart money moves on how not to get ripped of on Black Friday, let’s talk about some specific items that should be on your naughty and nice list. With so many deals being fired off at you through email, it can be difficult to know where the best place to spend your time should be over this holiday weekend. Should you get out now on Thanksgiving when the deals start flying off the shelf? Is it best to go on Black Friday? Or perhaps you should wait until Cyber Monday and just sit in the comfort of your home striking deals on the computer. Here are five items to buy and five items to avoid during Black Friday weekend.
WHAT TO BUY (these are all true if you can actually get in to score the Black Friday ad deal!!!!)
- Asus Intel Laptop @ Staples– How could anything be better than a $100 laptop? You better make sure all the keys are actually on the keyboard
- Panasonic 50” inch 1080p TV @ Best Buy– A 50” inch TV for $199.99. Strengthen up your forearms because you’ll have to push a few people out of the way to get this one. Be prepared for the super duper warranty pitch at the checkout counter.
- Samsung Galaxy S5 @ Target- Love going to “Tar-Jay” anyway, but for ONE penny with a 2 year activation this will be a hard one to beat anywhere.
- Dyson DC33 Vacuum @ Walmart– It’s hard to imagine Dyson allowing a markdown as low as $199 for a vacuum of this quality, but this will be a deal well worth sucking up the wait. Huggies Diapers @ Walgreens- Ok. So this isn’t really a gift. Or if you are Clark Griswold, maybe it’s a gift that keeps on giving. Either way it is $6 off a 48 pack of diapers.
WHAT NOT TO BUY
- Home Furniture– When was the last time you saw a Pottery Barn or Crate & Barrel deal on Black Friday? You don’t! The reason is that most of the deals happen during the summer time, so don’t go buying that new couch
or ottoman during this week.
- Land, Air, & Sea Packages– It might feel like a great time to plan a vacation, but most deals just aren’t discounted to a meaningful level during this week. Wait until January to score a better deal.
- Gift Cards– The best deals on these start in the first week of December, so resist the temptation to put a few of these in your shopping cart.
- Luxury Handbags– Although luxury has certainly lost its luster, you don’t often see great discounts from the brand names like Coach, Dooney & Bourke, and Louis Vitton.
- Winter Gear– Yeah, I know it is winter so you want to buy a North Face jacket or some new cool ski gear. However, year after year it has been proven that waiting to buy this type of gear until the season ends will
make you a much smarter shopper.
These are just some of my favorites, but please chime in with your comments on deals you know about that our readers should know of for Black Friday!