Mother’s Day is less than a week away and word on the street is that spending is up this year. The National Retail Federation estimated that consumers will spend 19.9 billion dollars on Mom this year in 2018 which is actually down from last year. If you are counting that is an average of $162.94 per consumer which is $6 decrease from a year ago. Men will spend more than Mom than women by more than $70! Being a Mom is a tough job, and we need to all appreciate what Mom’s do throughout the year. Most consumers will acknowledge that appreciation with a greeting card (81.3%), though it appears her loved ones will also look for special gifts. Two-thirds (66.6%) of those celebrating will buy mom her favorite flowers, spending a total of $2.3 billion, and 33.5 percent will look for spring sweaters and blouses, spending a total of $1.7 billion on apparel and accessory items. Mom’s loved ones will also buy books and CDs ($480 million), housewares or gardening tools ($812 million), personal experience gifts like a day at the spa ($1.5 billion), jewelry ($3.6 billion), and special outings like brunch or dinner ($3.8 billion). I say the heck with all of that and do something different this year . . . TECHNOLOGY (source: www.nrf.com)
- For The Mom Who Needs To Block Out The Kids Fighting– Since there are so many ways to watch content on your computer today, it would be fitting to get Mom a top of the line pair of headphones without the top of the line price. Beats EP with their stainless-steel build might just do the trick. The $89 Beats EP may be the best value in the entire Beats line and they come in black, white, red, and blue. (beatsbydre.com) $89
- For the Mom Who Needs An Assistant- Mom’s typically have 10 balls they are juggling at all times between kid’s practices, taking care of the house, and making sure all the doctor’s appointment stay on schedule. So, how do you get Mom her own personal assistant? Most people have not tried the Google Assistant app which is amazing. The Google Home Mini is only $50 and looks and sounds great—even better than Amazon Echo Dot. It uses the Google Assistant app to draw from a multitude of online services and can easily set up daily reminders such as news, weather, sports, and more. (https://bit.ly/2y4vrOK) $50
- For The Mom Who Wants To Stay Healthy– With all the running around Mom has to do all day, it is important that Mom gets her daily intake of water. This is the only water bottle on the market that glows to let you know it is time to drink more water and lets you know when you have hit your daily goal. It can sync up to all kinds of fitness trackers and has its own app as well. (hidratespark.com) $50
- For The Mom Who Wants Her Coffee Or Tea Just Right- Today’s busy moms may start out their days with a cup of hot tea or coffee, but that does not mean they have time to finish it with all they have to do to start the day. Ember is a fun gift that Mom will appreciate because it is a smart mug. Each ceramic cup & coaster will keep your drink warm throughout the day but can be ordered to warm up at any time for Mom through the Ember app. (ember.com) $79.95
- For The Mom Whose Cell Phone Batter Is Always Running Low– (uncommongoods.com) $35.95 Even in her most organized bag, retrieving lip gloss feels like spelunking for a single penny. You can help Mom make it a bright vision of order with this rechargeable, automatic light. The sleek square fits in any purse or tote and lights up at the touch or approach of a hand, turning frantic rummaging into game-changing illumination. The light switches off after a few moments to preserve the battery—just enough time to grab that mint, wallet, or phone. Speaking of phones, you can give yours a power boost (once you’ve found it) through the light’s device charger port. It’s one brilliant design that’s not averse to sharing power.
There is always time to buy the traditional gifts – flowers, candy, clothes, etc. But in a modern day society, a good easy to use gadget can go a long way to mom. Happy Mother’s Day to all Mom’s across America and most especially to my wife Genna!